Monday, April 1, 2013

Fan Fiction

To start off this post I would like to talk about fictitious and magical world of fan fiction! For those of you that don't know what fan fiction is, it's pretty much self explanatory. It's fake stories, some as long as novels, regarding a specific fandom. There is Twilight, Harry Potter, Divergent, Justin Bieber, Big Time Rush, The Hunger Games, Cody Simpson, and of course One Direction fan fiction. I only read One Direction fan fiction, but there are so many stories out there. There's even a website just for One Direction fan fiction! Some users of Instagram and Tumblr even dedicate a whole account to just to fan fiction! A website, now an app too, that most independent authors use to write and publish stories on is called Wattpad. Wattpad has a section where you can pick what genre of stories you want to look at and fan fiction is one of those genres. That fan fiction section is LOADED with One Direction fan fiction. It should be called "One Direction Fan Fiction" instead because Directioners dominate it. 

I will admit, I probably have about 15 fan fictions that I am reading right now. You might think, "Why is she reading so many stories at once and why doesn't she finish one before she goes to another?" I have a very good reason for that. Most fan fiction are "editing" or "updating" which means that you have to wait for updates of new chapters to be published or posted. Instead of waiting sometimes weeks on end for the next part, I will start another story. It gets frustrating though because once the next part is uploaded, you've forgotten what happened in the previous part and have to go back and skim it to get a grasp on the story line again. Sometimes the authors won't update for weeks or months on end, so you definitely have to go back to refresh your memory. The problem with reading fan fiction on Instagram is that you may forget the username or hashtag that it's under. I was in the middle of a really good Zayn fan fiction and I kept checking everyday for updates, and then every other day, and then every week, until I eventually forgot about it. That's why Wattpad is my favorite to read on! Once you are done reading for the time being, it saves the story in your library and you can always come back to it. Wattpad also sends you notifications whenever a story is updated, so you don't have to search for it. Unfortunately, Instagram, Tumblr, and onedirectionfanfiction.com does not. 

Another problem with fan fiction is that most of it is Harry or Niall falling in love with a normal girl. Zayn, Louis, and Liam have girlfriends that a majority of the fandom has grown to love and we see them as perfect couples, so we don't want to come between them by writing about them with another girl. This leads me into another topic: the 1D girlfriends!

My final problem that I will address in this post is gay fan fiction! I have nothing at all against gay people and am actually for the equality of homosexual people, but the boys are not gay. 3/5 of One Direction have girlfriends, meaning they are straight. Harry and Niall have had girlfriends before, meaning they are straight. It just irritates me. This leads me into another topic: bromances!

(Links to fan fiction sites below)

Wattpad

One Direction Fan Fiction


No comments:

Post a Comment